Good afternoon all, I hope you are having as good of a day as I am! I got a pretty large commission today, from an old hockey pal, from back when I played. She noticed that I’ve been doing the alphabet on Facebook, and wondered if I’d be interested in doing something larger as a gift for her 16 year old daughter. I of course said yes, and once we got the details hammered out, I went out to buy the paper to make it happen.
I chose to use mix media paper, Sakura Micron 01 pens, a 6B pencil for shading, and a fixative spray to keep the shading from smudging.
I used over 300 tangles and put in over 60 hours into this piece, and enjoyed every minute of it. I chose to shad each tangle as I went along, so as not to have a huge task of shading at the end. I much prefer to shade as I go along, as to be honest, on some of the bigger jobs, i get overwhelmed with how much shading there is to do at the end, and this helps me tremendously. It’s a nice break and shift of focus in between tangles, and it works for me.
Her commission was to do her daughter’s first and last initials on a piece of card stock 18″x24″, by far the largest piece to date that I’ve done.
Here is the beginning, middle and end of the project.